2. Does it cost more in your location?
3. Where is your Main Office?
4. How many service vehicles?
5. Do you have Liability Insurance?
Georgia is a state in the southeastern United States. It was established in 1733, the last of the original Thirteen Colonies. Named after King George II of Great Britain, Georgia was the fourth state to ratify the United States Constitution, on January 2, 1788. It declared its secession from the Union on January 19, 1861, and was one of the original seven Confederate states.  It was the last state to be restored to the Union, on July 15, 1870. Georgia is the 24th largest and the 8th most populous of the 50 United States.
From 2007 to 2008, 14 of Georgia's counties ranked among the nation's 100 fastest-growing, second only to Texas. Georgia is known as the Peach State and the Empire State of the South. Atlanta is the state's capital, its most populous city and has been named a global city. Georgia is bordered to the south by Florida, to the east by the Atlantic Ocean and South Carolina, to the west by Alabama, and to the north by Tennessee and North Carolina.
The state's northern part is in the Blue Ridge Mountains, part of the Appalachian Mountains system. The Piedmont extends through the central part of the state from the foothills of the Blue Ridge to the Fall Line, where the rivers cascade down in elevation to the coastal plain of the state's southern part. Georgia's highest point is Brasstown Bald at 4,784 feet (1,458 m) above sea level; the lowest is the Atlantic Ocean. Georgia is the largest state entirely east of the Mississippi River in land area.
Before settlement by Europeans, Georgia was inhabited by the mound building cultures. The British colony of Georgia was founded by James Oglethorpe on February 12, 1733. The colony was administered by the Trustees for the Establishment of the Colony of Georgia in America under a charter issued by (and named for) King George II. The Trustees implemented an elaborate plan for the colony's settlement, known as the Oglethorpe Plan, which envisioned an agrarian society of yeoman farmers and prohibited slavery. In 1742 the colony was invaded by the Spanish during the War of Jenkins' Ear. In 1752, after the government failed to renew subsidies that had helped support the colony, the Trustees turned over control to the crown. Georgia became a crown colony, with a governor appointed by the king.
The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, on June 27, 1864 The Province of Georgia was one of the Thirteen Colonies that revolted against British rule in the American Revolution by signing the 1776 Declaration of Independence. The State of Georgia's first constitution was ratified in February 1777. Georgia was the 10th state to ratify the Articles of Confederation on July 24, 1778, and was the 4th state to ratify the current Constitution on January 2, 1788.
In 1829, gold was discovered in the North Georgia mountains, which led to the Georgia Gold Rush and an established federal mint in Dahlonega, which continued its operation until 1861. The subsequent influx of white settlers put pressure on the government to take land from the Cherokee Nation. In 1830, President Andrew Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act into law, sending many eastern Native American nations to reservations in present-day Oklahoma, including all of Georgia's tribes.
Despite the Supreme Court's ruling in Worcester v. Georgia (1832) that ruled U.S. states were not permitted to redraw the Indian boundaries, President Jackson and the state of Georgia ignored the ruling. In 1838, his successor, Martin Van Buren, dispatched federal troops to gather the Cherokee and deport them west of the Mississippi. This forced relocation, known as the Trail of Tears, led to the death of over 4,000 Cherokees.
In early 1861, Georgia joined the Confederacy and became a major theater of the Civil War. Major battles took place at Chickamauga, Kennesaw Mountain, and Atlanta. In December 1864, a large swath of the state from Atlanta to Savannah was destroyed during General William Tecumseh Sherman's March to the Sea. 18,253 Georgian soldiers died in service, roughly 1 of every 5 who served. In 1870, following the Reconstruction Era, Georgia became the last Confederate state to be restored to the Union.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Acworth, Georgia, located about 35 miles northwest of Atlanta, exemplifies the quality of life most Americans dream of. While it is close enough to Atlanta to experience professional sports and cultural events equated with a larger city, the small-town atmosphere of Acworth provokes opportunities for families that offer fun and tranquility.
Convenient to both Interstate 75 and Highway 41, area hotels are comfortable and are run by community members. Visitors, whether in the mood for down-home southern cooking, a quick sandwich, spicy Cajun cuisine or parlor style ice cream, will find a wide range of choices.
Acworth is surrounded by two beautiful lakes (Lake Acworth and Lake Allatoona), which offer beaches for swimming, fishing, boating and camping opportunities. There are twelve parks that surround Acworth for picnicking. Nestled along the banks of Lake Acworth is Cobblestone Golf Course, which was recently rated the #1 public course in Georgia by Golf Digest. Whether the golf related outing is a company tournament, class or family reunion, Cobblestone is the perfect choice.
Shoppers will revel in the eclectic nature of Acworth's historical downtown district. The shops are diversified in their offerings, and you will always find friendly and welcoming staff at all of the shops.
If you are a history buff, you will certainly want to visit the many homes on the historical tour. A stroll through these tree-lined streets is like a stroll through history where treasured architecture has been preserved, a simpler, more tranquil life maintained, and a commitment to balancing the small town, yet progressive theme, unique to Acworth. The Dixie Highway, "the granddaddy of Interstate 75," was the first interstate to reach into the south and is Acworth's Main Street, which was a part of the original Dixie route. By the time of its incorporation in 1840, Acworth prospered as a typical railroad town. Today, Acworth is designated as a Georgia Main Street city and is part of the Main Street America program. As a result, the city is committed to preserving the historical significance of its downtown district buildings.
The Autrey Mill Nature Preserve and Heritage Center is located in Alpharetta. This 46-acre forest has an abundance of animal life and a scenic creek. There are 1.5 miles of walking trails, picnic areas and historic sites for visitors to enjoy. The Environmental Education Center is located in Alpharetta. The Center operates as a community service center providing information on environmental topics and features a library with hundreds of valuable resource materials.
Alpharetta is home to the campus of DeVry Institute of Technology, as well as a campus of Georgia State University. According to 2000 Census, the City of Alpharetta had a population of 34,854 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 168.1%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.
Atlanta was founded in 1837 as the end of the Western & Atlantic railroad line (it was first named Marthasville in honor of the then-governor's daughter, nicknamed Terminus for its rail location, and then changed soon after to Atlanta, the feminine of Atlantic -- as in the railroad). Today the fast-growing city remains a transportation hub, not just for the country but also for the world: Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport is one of the nation's busiest in daily passenger flights. Direct flights to Europe, South America, and Asia have made metro Atlanta easily accessible to the more than 1,000 international businesses that operate here and the more than 50 countries that have representation in the city through consulates, trade offices, and chambers of commerce. The city has emerged as a banking center and is the world headquarters for 13 Fortune 500 companies.
Atlanta is the Capital city of the southeast, a city of the future with strong ties to its past. The old in new Atlanta is the soul of the city, the heritage that enhances the quality of life in a contemporary city. In the turbulent 60's, Atlanta was "the city too busy to hate." And today, in the 21st Century, Atlanta is the "city not too busy to care".
For more than four decades Atlanta has been linked to the civil rights movement. Civil Rights leaders moved forward, they were the visionaries who saw a new south, a new Atlanta. They believed in peace. They made monumental sacrifices for that peace. And because of them Atlanta became a fast-pace modern city which opened its doors to the 1996 Olympics.
Many years ago Austell was known far and near as Salt Springs, and was the favorite haunts of the hunter, who came to shoot the wary deer as he made his way to the salt licks. The hunters soon found that the waters had wonderful medicinal properties, and spread the news of its remarkable cures, until long before the Civil War, it was the Mecca for the sick and afflicted. Quite many years ago the Methodist built right at Lithia Springs a great arbor, and held annually their famed camp-meeting services, lasting many times for weeks. No few of them provided themselves with tents, housing their families and friends, and securing to themselves, not only good from the religious services, but health from its waters and from living in the open air.
It so happened that many who came liked it so well that they desired to make it their permanent abode, and so prevailed upon Mr. G. O. Mozeley, then the owner of all the property around Austell, to sell them a lot. After much persuasion and instance he finally decided to sub-divide 40 acres. So he laid the town off into squares, with streets fifty feet wide, making an ideal tavern-site. About this time the old Georgia Pacific, now a division of the Southern Railway, made Austell not only a station on its own lines, but the division point for the two lines that converge there, viz.: the route to Birmingham and the one to Chattanooga.
Austell is located 18 miles from Atlanta at the junction of two divisions of the Southern Railway. It is situated in the southern part of Cobb County, its limits extending to the boundary line between Cobb and Douglas. Sweetwater Creek drains this entire section, finally emptying its waters into the Gulf.
Buckhead, originally distributed in the land lottery of 1805, is one of the earliest settlements in Morgan County. In 1823, Buckhead established its first post office, and in 1824, Alexander Fitzpatrick deeded 1.5 acres to build the present day Methodist Church. In 1933 the Georgia Railroad earned a charter, and the town of Buckhead became a layover spot for the trains, which were not allowed to run on Sundays.
At one time, Buckhead had four general stores, a meat market, two drug stores, a cotton buyers' office, a barber shop, three restaurants, a hotel, a blacksmith's shop, two corn mills, a livery stable, a cotton gin, and a saw mill. However, like many small towns, things changed with the Great Depression and the boll weevil. Today, Buckhead is a quiet country town, where some of the descendants of the original settlers still find it a nice place to live.
ALGERNON SIDNEY BUFORD, for whom the City of Buford was named, was President of the Atlanta and Richmond Air-Line Railroad. He was of distinguished Virginian ancestry, a graduate of the University of Virginia, a lawyer by profession, and several times a member of the Virginia State legislative body. He was railroad president for 20 years during its period of expansion. A resident of Richmond, Virginia, he maintained an Atlanta office upstairs at 69 Whitehall Street during the construction of the railroad in Georgia and the Carolinas.
The "Town of Buford" was incorporated by Act of legislature August 24, 1872. The name was changed to the "City of Buford" in 1896.
On the time line of history, Buford is a newcomer. Although brief, Buford's history has been rather impressive.
Buford never had the sleepy little village aura, which characterized most small towns of the 19th century and early 20th century. The town was early blessed with able, far-sighted citizens, interested in business and education as was evidenced by its rapid growth and early attention to schools. Buford was early called the "city of many factories." A news article in the News-Herald of December 18, 1902 referred to Buford as the New York of Gwinnett in paying tribute to its industry and activity.
For more than 60 years Buford was the largest city in Gwinnett County and during most of that time it had the only significant industrial development in the county. During this period it exerted a powerful, many times dominant influence upon county politics. As early as 1900 Buford was the largest city in the county, and Sugar Hill Militia District listed more ad valorem taxpayers than any other district in the county. Buford had the first bank in the county. In fact, Buford had two flourishing banks before any other permanent banking facilities were established in the county. For most of its history Buford's schools were widely recognized for quality education. For several decades, students came from other areas of the county and from adjoining counties to acquire the prestigious diploma from Buford High School.
Named one of Atlanta Magazine's "Best Places To Call Home" in April 2003, the City of College Park has become one of the most exciting communities in the greater metropolitan Atlanta area in which to live. A well-established community with an individuality all its own, College Park, located near the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Interstates I-85 and I-285, the CSX Railroad and Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA), residents and visitors alike will find that this revitalized City offers the best of Southern hospitality in its city services, local restaurants, lodging accommodations, parks and recreation, and community events.
Originating from a land grant awarded in 1846, College Park has the fourth largest urban historic district in Georgia with 867 structures on the Historic Register. The City's historical collection consists of homes, monuments, businesses, schools, churches, parks, a cemetery, government building, and railway station.
A city where growth and progress embrace the past to enhance the future, downtown College Park anchors the city with its historic Main Street business district. Through assistance from the College Park Development / Main Street Office, new specialty businesses are replacing once vacant storefronts and transitional businesses. The new Georgia International Convention Center is a state-of-the-art facility owned and operated by the City of College Park, and is the second largest exhibit and meeting space in the state.
The College Park Women's Club, located in an historical structure built in 1897 on Main Street, offers facilities to accommodate 300 guests and is equipped with a kitchen and stage. College Park is one of the few cities in the country that can boast of having a female architect actively involved in planning and design during the 1890s.
The history of Conyers and Rockdale County is diverse and dates back over ten thousand years. Early natives known as "The Mound Builders" were one of many groups who visited Rockdale's gentle hills, lakes and streams. Much later, the Creek and Cherokee Nations shared a common border, the "Great Indian Road," now known as Hightower Trail in northern Rockdale. In the early 1800s, this trail was a main route for white settlers moving inland after the American Revolution.
Georgia stretched all the way to the Mississippi River, and this Indian Road provided an irresistible magnet for European immigration. State authorities officially opened up what is now Rockdale County to settlers in 1816 and 1821. One of several settlements grew up around Costley's Mill on Big Haynes Creek. This settlement grew to include the first school, a gristmill, a sawmill, a planing mill, and eventually a cotton gin. The area's Salem Baptist Church still performs baptisms in the sparkling waters of the old millpond. A dozen or more mills appeared quickly including the three-story Kennedy-Baker Mill which used French burrs for grinding corn and wheat, but several were eventually burned down by Indians.
The summer of 1996 was an exciting time in Conyers-Rockdale County's history. Over 600,000 visitors visited the community during the period of the Centennial Olympic Games. Visitors thrilled to equestrian events, first-ever mountain bike competition and the final two events of the modern pentathlon at Conyers' Olympic venue, the Georgia International Horse Park. The Olympics put Conyers and Rockdale County not only on the map but in the minds of thousands that soon began relocating their homes, families and businesses to the area. Conyers has now grown to 15,000 residents and Rockdale County to over 80,000. It is a combination of small town and big city, of rural scenes and urban shopping. The population now reflects many nationalities, races and religions. Most of all, the community reflects an amazing legacy of progress, involvement and society where everyone has contributed and everyone feels a sense of belonging.
Cumming, the county seat of Forsyth County, was established in 1834. The city is said to be named either for Colonel William Cumming of Augusta, a prominent lawyer, or by local Cherokees for Sir Alexander Cumming of England, who settled in America in 1729 and became a Cherokee leader.
There are a number of campgrounds in the city including Bald Ridge Creek Park, Sawnee Park and Shady Grove Park. Also located near Cumming is the historical Mill Covered Bridge, built in 1906, which spans Settendown Creek.
The Lanierland Music Park provides visitors with top name country music entertainment from early summer to late fall. According to 2000 Census, the City of Cumming had a population of 4,220 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 49.2%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.
Dacula is primarily a residential community, and many subdivisions have been built within the city limits in recent years. In earlier times, the Georgia, Carolina and Northern Railway laid tracks through the area that was to become Dacula. In 1905, the city was incorporated. John W. Freeman, who was the first postmaster, was asked to submit six names for the town. To get an original name, he used letters from Atlanta and Decatur, forming the word Dacula. The name "Dacula" is properly pronounced da-CUE-la (duh-Q-la).
Dacula is a city that straddles Winder Highway and the CSX railroad line between Atlanta and Athens, Georgia. We sit squarely in the middle of one of the fastest growing areas in the state. We are in the Vee created by interstate 85 and Georgia 316, strategically located half-way between cosmopolitan Atlanta and academic Athens, home of the University of Georgia
Welcome to the City of Dallas, Georgia, located in the Heart of Paulding County, one of the fastest growing counties in the United States, part of the metropolitan Atlanta area. The population of Dallas is approximately 11,500 and serves as the County Seat of Paulding.
With the convenience of being part of metro Atlanta, the City of Dallas has retained the charm of simpler times, with a vibrant and friendly community, strong on southern hospitality.
We invite you to discover Decatur. You'll find a traditional small-town atmosphere--and the sophistication and excitement of a college town--along with all the benefits of living in a major metropolitan area. Take a stroll through Decatur and see how friendly neighbors, tree-lined streets, great schools, parks and playing fields, libraries, colleges, and businesses all make our town a wonderful place to spend some time. We're just minutes east of downtown Atlanta, minutes west of Stone Mountain, and the MARTA rail station is right under our downtown square, so getting here is a breeze. Named after Stephen Decatur, a 19th century U.S. Naval hero, Decatur retains a strong connection to its history, while preparing for the future with managed growth and responsible development.
Decatur maintains its own identity while forging bonds with other communities locally, nationally and internationally. Other U.S. cities and counties named Decatur participate in some of our festivities. We are a member of Sister Cities International. Learn more about Decatur's Points of Interest as well as community activities, business and City government. Then come and see for yourself why Decatur folks are proud of their community The evolution of the city of Decatur can perhaps be best understood by studying the development of its city center, commercial areas, and its neighborhoods. Developed during different decades, with different characteristics, uses, and economic climates, the various city districts and neighborhoods, each with its own unique character, have coalesced into the vibrant and diverse city of modern-day Decatur.
Located at a natural rise in the topography, Douglasville was originally known as Skint Chestnut. The name derived from a large tree used by Indians as a landmark, which was stripped of its bark so as to be more conspicuous.
The Town of Douglasville was established by the Georgia General Assembly on February 25, 1875. The boundaries were as follows: The center shall be a point directly opposite the court house in said town, on the Georgia Western Railroad, thence running along the center of said road each way three-fourths of a mile, and extending one half mile each way from the center of said road, the form of said territory to be an oblong square. An election was held on the first Saturday in March, 1875, and a mayor, treasurer, records (secretary), and marshall were chosen. Thus began the official history of Douglasville, today one of the most attractive, historic parts of the Atlanta metro area. As you might suspect, however, the real stories and history extend back much earlier than 1875.
At the time that Evan Howell came to the area, there was only one road opened in the section. This was the Peachtree Road, an offshoot of an old Indian trail that ran along the bridge south of the Chattahoochee River. It had been surveyed and constructed during the War of 1812 and connected Ft. Daniel with the fort at Standing Peachtree, 30 miles down river. Peachtree Road is still the most famous road in Georgia. He realized that more roads were needed in order for the area to develop, so he obtained permission in February 1833 to construct a road from the Chattahoochee River across his land to intersect Peachtree Road. This intersection became known as Howell's Cross Roads and was know by this name for 40 years.
Duluth has been an important crossroads to the area since the Cherokee Indians first settled here. In 1821, Evan Howell, Duluth?s forefather, developed the town of Howell Crossing which later evolved into a major artery for the railroad. With the visionary acumen of his grandson, Evan P. Howell, changes were on the horizon in 1873. The opportunity to build and link a railway system from North to South was about to unfold. Representative J. Proctor Knott delivered a speech to the United States House of Representatives entitled, "The Glory of Duluth." The pitch of his presentation weighed heavily with Congress and consequently a bill to finance the building of the railroad from Howell Crossing to Duluth, Minnesota was enacted. Grateful for the opportunity to build on a vision, Howell deemed it appropriate to rename of city to Duluth.
East Point, is one of Georgia's fastest growing cities. Well into the next millennium the City of East Point offers one of the most attractive places for business growth and relocation, as well as upscale residential construction.
Accessibility is one of the many advantages that the City of East Point offers. Its location provides easy access to public transportation, major highways, thoroughfares and Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. It is the gateway to Fort McPherson. These amenities add to the city's attractiveness as a great place to live, play, work and conduct business. Essentially, the City of East Point offers amenities of a large urban city with the friendliness, safety and charm of a small town. The diversity of its people and the quaintness of its neighborhoods take you back to a time when neighborhoods were central to daily living. As you stroll along the city's Main Street, you get a taste of the best that East Point has to offer, with its charm and magic.
Fayetteville is a city that hosts many annual events, including the Old Courthouse Art Show in May, the Main Street Festival in October, and Christmas in Fayetteville in December.
Fayetteville's newspaper, The Fayette County News, has been in operation since 1886. According to 2000 Census, the City of Fayetteville had a population of 11,148 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 91.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.
Citizens have a deep appreciation for the more than 65 acres of parks and playgrounds including ball fields, a multi-purpose community recreation center, Senior Center, an indoor Olympic-size pool, one outdoor pool, a football stadium seating 2,000 spectators, jogging track, picnic sheds and tennis courts.
Forest Park offers immediate access to neighboring Atlanta's Hartsfield/Jackson Airport. Interstate highways I-75, I-285 and the I-675 corridor all providing major advantages for commercial, industrial and entertainment activities. Forest Park is also home to Fort Gillem, a satellite installation of Headquarters, U.S. Army Garrison, Fort McPherson.
Jonesboro, the county seat for Clayton County, was incorporated as a town December 13, 1859. The city was originally called Leaksville. When the railroad passed through the city, it was renamed in honor of Captain Samuel G. Jones, one of the line's surveyors. Clayton County courthouse in Jonesboro, built in 1898, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Battle of Jonesboro marked the end of the Atlanta Campaign during the Civil War. When Federal troops seized control of the railroad in Jonesboro, all supplies to Atlanta were cut off. According to 2000 Census, the City of Jonesboro had a population of 3,829 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 5.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.
Lawrenceville, the county seat of Gwinnett County, was incorporated on December 15, 1821, making it the second-oldest city in the Atlanta area. The city is named after Captain James Lawrence, Commander of the Frigate Chesapeake during the War of 1812. Captain Lawrence, mortally wounded, gave his men the battle cry, "Don't give up the ship."
The Lawrenceville courthouse has had its share of interesting events since its inception in 1821. The courthouse is where controversial publisher Larry Flynt was shot and paralyzed during an obscenity trial. Today the historic courthouse in Lawrenceville houses the Gwinnett History Center. Nearby, the Gwinnett History Museum houses a collection of Georgia folk artifacts. Numerous events are hosted throughout the year in Lawrenceville, including the annual Lighting of the Tree on Thanksgiving Day, an event that draws between 6,000 and 8,000 people to the county's historic courthouse.
The city of Lilburn was founded in 1890 by the Seaboard Airline Railway. The area previously known as McDaniel, Georgia was renamed Lilburn, after the General Superintendent of the railroad, Lilburn Trigg Myers. The town prospered and was incorporated as Lilburn, Georgia on July 27, 1910. A devastating fire and hard economic times in the 1920's ended the prosperity and the City of Lilburn ceased to exist. A revitalization of the original historic area has emerged with shopping and restaurants in the Old Town district which has been described as a Slice of History.
Lilburn Daze, an Arts and Crafts Festival promoted by the Women's Club is celebrated on the second Saturday in October featuring over 400 vendors. The Annual Christmas Parade, held on the second Saturday in December is always an anticipated event for the community with over 70 entrees marching down Main Street ending at the newly refurbished park.
Lithia Springs is an unincorporated area, formerly incorporated as a city, located in northeastern Douglas County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 2,072. The city is named for its historic Lithia Springs (lithia water) springs. Incorporated in 1882, Lithia Springs was dissolved the first time in 1933. Lithia Springs became incorporated again in 1994, only to be Douglas County's second completely internal municipality for seven years, until 2001. In 2001, the citizens voted (80% yea, 20% nay) on March 20 to dissolve the city charter and de-incorporate the city, transferring all assets to the county. The referendum that ended the town was part of the settlement in a lawsuit brought by city residents charging the city should be dissolved because it didn't deliver enough services to justify its existence under state law. During its incorporation until 2001, the former city had five mayors.
Its former boundaries are the Cobb County Line to the North and East, Skyview Drive to the South, and U.S. Highway 78 and Old Beulah Rd to the west. Some of the incorporated limits of Douglasville, Georgia occupy some of the territory within Lithia Springs, along Interstate 20, Blair Bridge Road, Lee Road and Thornton Road. Lithia Springs is assigned the United States Postal Service zip code of 30122.
The community got its unusual name, according to locals, when in the 1840's a teacher instructing Greek in a local school, combined the Greek words Litho meaning rock and Onia meaning place to create Lithonia. Considering that East Dekalb area contains an abundance of Gneiss granite Lithonia was aptly named. The nearby granite dome, Stone Mountain, is composed largely of a rock called Lithonia gneiss.
Loganville was the last stop on the Seaboard Airline Railroad from Atlanta to Lawrenceville. Local entrepreneurs capitalized on the rail line, and built a depot for the Loganville & Lawrenceville Railroad Company in 1898. The Depression shut the railroad down in 1932. The years brought both growth and change. Cotton was no longer king after a bout with the boll weevil which swept through the area. A review carried in the Walton Tribune in 1958 about Loganville commented that.
Mableton is a census-designated place in Cobb County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2010 census, the CDP had a population of 37,115.
It was named for Robert Mable, who in 1843 bought 300 acres (about 120 hectares or 1.2 km?) of land on September 11. The Southern Railway opened a train station in Mableton in December 1881, and in 1882 the post office opened on June 28, replacing the Bryantville post office about two miles (3 km) southeast. In 1912 it was incorporated as a town on August 19, but in 1916 disincorporated on August 17. The historic original Mable House and plantation, located on Floyd Road just north of Clay Road, now includes an amphitheatre which hosts public events.
Roy Barnes, governor of Georgia from 1999 to 2003, is from Mableton.
As of the census of 2000, there were 29,733 people, 10,894 households, and 7,963 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,444.4 people per square mile (557.6/km?). There were 11,339 housing units at an average density of 550.8/sq mi (212.6/km?). The racial makeup of the CDP was 62.39% White, 29.26% African American, 0.26% Native American, 1.40% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 4.64% from other races, and 2.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.80% of the population. There were 10,894 households out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.5% were married couples living together, 14.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.9% were non-families. 21.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 34.4% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 95.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.2 males. The median income for a household in the CDP was $49,426, and the median income for a family was $55,673. Males had a median income of $36,586 versus $31,391 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,814. About 5.9% of families and 8.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.7% of those under age 18 and 9.5% of those age 65 or over.
The city of Marietta, Georgia, is a full-service municipality distinguished by its unique history, sense of community and modern quality of life.
The city's economic development, police, fire, parks and recreation, public works, environmental services, power and water departments serve citizens and businesses.
Marietta is 15 miles northwest of Atlanta and the Cobb County seat. At 23 square miles, Marietta is one of Georgia's most populous cities, with 56,579 residents calling the city home.
The National Civic League judged Marietta one of the 10 best communities in the nation as a 2006 All-America City, the oldest and most-respected community recognition award in the country. CNNMoney.com named Marietta one of the top 25 places in the United States to retire in 2011.
Before there was an Atlanta or a Chattanooga there was Marietta, Georgia. A small cluster of homes near the Cherokee town of Marietta were reported as early as 1824. An early road in what would become Cobb County crossed the "Shallow Ford" of the Chattahoochee and ran just south of these settlers. In 1832 the state of Georgia formed 10 counties from what had been Cherokee land. Cobb County was named for Thomas Willis Cobb, U.S. representative, US senator and Supreme Court judge. In 1837 the Georgia Gazetteer reported that the city of Marietta was named for Cobb's wife. The Georgia legislature legally recognized the town on Dec. 19, 1834, but by that time a sizable community already existed. The first plat for the city, since destroyed, was laid out by James Anderson in 1833, who had worked extensively in north Georgia. Like most towns, Marietta had a square in the center with a modest courthouse.
Three years later the state assembly approved a bill creating the Western and Atlantic Railroad. Colonel Stephen Long, U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, was chosen to head the project, and he selected Marietta as home base. The impact of locating near Marietta Square was significant. Business began to boom. Three taverns sprang up around the center of town to accompany the early stores of Thomas Johnston and George Winters, John Lemon, Watson W. Simpson, and James Waller. A tanyard was nearby. By 1838 roadbed and trestles had been built north of the city. Construction continued until 1840 when Long quit, having been criticized by politicians for being too slow. He felt the criticism unfounded, and he was probably correct. For two years work came to a standstill until another engineer was found. On Feb. 7, 1842 Charles Fenton Mercer Garnett took over, using the area that would become Atlanta as his base. As crews began to clear and grade north of the town a new pastime became popular. The roadbed was perfect for horse racing, and the sport grew quite popular, taking place in the approximate area of the present-day Marietta Welcome Center and Visitors Bureau. The Western and Atlantic began to operate from Atlanta to Adairsville in 1845 and through to Chattanooga in 1850. Tanyards became a thriving business and, coupled with railroad-related revenue, made up a major portion of the city's business income. By the time the Civil War began in 1861, Marietta had recovered from the fires and was booming. The Raiders spent the night of April 11 and stole the train on April 12. Twenty-one of the men stayed in the Fletcher House and two stayed in Cole's Marietta Hotel. On the night of April 12, 1862, a group of 23 men spent the night split between Cole's and the Fletcher House. Early the next morning they met in James Andrews' room and proceeded to Marietta Station. Boarding a train, they commandeered it a few minutes later in Big Shanty. The next 50 miles of the ride has been dramatically recreated for generations and is now generally referred to as "The Great Locomotive Chase."
Midtown Atlanta is the second largest business district in the city of Atlanta, situated between the commercial and financial districts of Downtown to the south and Mid-Town Atlanta to the north. Midtown has a resident population of 30,000, a workplace population of 68,000, a student population of 20,000. The district attracts about six million visitors annually. Midtown Atlanta is marked by its cultural attractions, institutions of higher education, noteworthy architecture, and urban layout. The district is the center of the city's arts scene that includes the Fox Theatre, Woodruff Arts Center, the High Museum of Art, the Museum of Design Atlanta, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the Center for Puppetry Arts, and the 14th Street Playhouse. Midtown is also home to three well known institutions of higher education: Georgia Institute of Technology, John Marshall Law School, and the Atlanta division of the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). Midtown contains about one-third of the city's high-rises and some of Atlanta's most iconic buildings, such as the Bank of America Plaza, AT&T Midtown Center, Atlantic Center, and 1180 Peachtree. Midtown has also been a primary area for high-density development in the city in the first decade of the 2000s due to the district's mass transit options and urban street grid.
The southern half of Midtown Atlanta between 8th Street and North Ave was originally purchased by Richard Peters in 1848 to use the pine forest there for fuel for his downtown flour mill. Over the next 40 years Peters slowly subdivided sections of these land lots off for a gridded residential area and built his own home there on Peachtree at 4th Street. His son, Edward, built his home on the block bounded by North Avenue, Piedmont Avenue, Ponce de Leon Avenue and Myrtle Street. The home, now called Ivy Hall, was restored by the Savannah College of Art & Design in 2008 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. After the Civil War, Peachtree between what is now 8th and 12th streets was still about a mile beyond the city limits, which ended at Pine Street. As Atlanta grew ever further outwards from its historic center, mansions were constructed along Peachtree Street. Cross streets were built and residential development began around 1880. Piedmont Park was established with the Piedmont Exposition of 1887, followed by the Cotton States and International Exposition of 1895, lending the area new prominence. Electric streetcar lines extended along Piedmont Avenue by 1895 and along Peachtree Street (to Brookwood) by 1900. In 1904, development on Ansley Park began. By the 1920s, Tenth and Peachtree had become the nexus of a significant shopping district for the surrounding neighborhood. The 1910 Encyclop?dia Britannica listed Peachtree Street in Midtown as one of the finest residential areas of the city, along with Ponce de Leon Circle (now Ponce de Leon Avenue), Washington Street, and Inman Park. The Downtown Connector freeway opened in the 1950s, and the blocks between Williams Street and Techwood Drive were demolished to make way for it. In 1964, Ansley Mall opened, and the Tenth Street shopping district went into decline. By the late 1960s, Peachtree Street between Eighth and Fourteenth Streets had become a center of hippie culture known as The Strip.
The City of Morrow Planning and Economic Development Department was recently created to manage current and future development issues, and to ensure quality growth both residential and commercial areas of the City.
The Mission of the Planning and Economic Development Department is to ensure the future of the City of Morrow will be a livable community and that it has a sustainable economy.
P+ED will accomplish the Mission by taking Actions that are efficient, effective and focused, and will be clear, concise and achievable based on the data from professional driven studies and proper due diligence.
The Department's Purpose is to provide attractive neighborhoods and a strong business community that creates/retains jobs for the residents of the City and the surrounding area.
The City of Norcross is Gwinnett County's second oldest city and has played many roles in local history and development. It was founded as a resort town for wealthy Atlantans by J. J. Thrasher, who named the city for his good friend Jonathan Norcross, a former Mayor of Atlanta.
Arriving by train at the Norcross depot, visitors often stayed at the Brunswick luxury hotel located across from Thrasher Park, a pleasant green space cooled by a grove of tall oaks and magnolias. As the town quickly grew, its charming central business district was soon surrounded by traditional Southern homes. In the 1980s, when the Atlanta area boomed, Norcross shared in the prosperity. The population of the small area swelled from 3,500 to 6,000. Yet through the boom times, the Mayor and City Council sought to preserve the city's charm. It has been said that those who live in Norcross have the best of both worlds, as it maintains a quiet, picturesque downtown district while along its fringes are corporations doing millions of dollars of business on a daily basis. Norcross has the distinction of being the only location in Gwinnett County to have a district listed in the U.S. Register of Historic Places. The district comprises 112 acres and is located along South Peachtree Street, North Peachtree Street, and Lawrenceville Street including the downtown area. To enhance the Historic District and character it provides the city, City Council dedicated about $250,000 of Hotel/Motel tax to the renovation of the downtown area in 1987. Turn-of-the-century street lighting now welcomes visitors and residents alike to beautiful shade-tree lined brick sidewalks throughout the downtown area. Downtown is currently undergoing a second round of revitalization through the Norcross Livable Centers Intiative Town Center Study, which the Downtown Development Authority has been charged with implementing in addition to other projects that will enhance downtown.
Peachtree City has a system of golf cart paths which spider across the town and provide a secondary means of access to almost any destination within city limits. These multi-use paths stretch for more than ninety miles throughout the city. Many places of business have specially designated golf cart parking spaces and the Peachtree City Police Department has several golf carts that patrol along the paths. Over 9,000 households own a golf cart, more than any other city in the world, and use them as an extra vehicle for local transportation. Children aged twelve or over may operate a cart on Peachtree City cart paths with a parent, grandparent or guardian in the front seat. Unaccompanied fifteen-year-olds with valid Georgia Learner's Permits are allowed to operate golf carts alone. Students at McIntosh High School are even encouraged to drive their golf carts to school because of limited car parking. The golf cart paths are also used by bikers, joggers, and pedestrians as a safer alternative to the side of the road.
Peachtree City has a regional airport, Falcon Field, which hosts an airshow every year. The airport is also the location of a National Weather Service radar station, Southeast River Forecast Center, and Weather Forecast Office, which serves 96 counties in northern and central Georgia. Peachtree City is also the city of license for WWLG (96.7 FM), a R&B, Pop radio station. Peachtree City was designated a "Foreign Trade Zone" by the US Customs Service, now: U.S. Customs and Border Protection. In the U.S., a Foreign Trade Zone is a site in or near a U.S. Customs port of entry (in this case Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport), designated free of customs entry procedures. In February 2003, Golf Digest magazine discussed the traffic congestion caused by Peachtree City?s golf carts in an article entitled ?Golf Cart Gridlock?. In July 2005, CNN/Money and Money magazine ranked Peachtree City eighth on its list of the 100 Best Places to Live in the United States. In July 2007 in the same award it ranked 64th. In July 2009, Peachtree City was once again ranked eighth on the list. In August 2011, Peachtree City attained a rank of 91st on the list
People have continued to find their way to Powder Springs since 1838. Its mild climate, rich soil and inviting springs offered health and recreation. People with a strong work ethic and sense of community pride settled in the hills surrounding the seven springs. Downtown Powder Springs today features several historic commercial buildings and a variety of historic homes.
Although Riverdale is a metropolitan suburb today, with a diverse and dynamic population, it has not always been a suburban community. Settlers moved to the area, now known as the City of Riverdale, long before the Civil War came to Georgia in the 1860's. In 1887, a railroad track was built from Atlanta to Fort Valley. There were main stops locally and in a place known as Selina. Eventually, the railroad became desperately in need of loads of cord wood, while, at the same time, farmers needed cash. A farmer named Monroe Huie developed an idea to provide wood to the railroad. As a result, farmers began to cut and haul their wood to Rape's Crossing.
Commerce, Generosity & Growth Each time the train came to get wood, it would bring fertilizer to the area. Hence, fertilizer sales became the area?s first business venture. Before the spur was built, fertilizer was hauled in wagons from the neighboring town of Jonesboro. As time went by, the railroad began to have trouble securing adequate land for its business needs such as side tracks, a depot, and housing for its workers. This prompted Mr. and Mrs. W.S. Rivers to make a generous land donation to the railroad; the Rivers owned local land and the town?s entire business district. Their donation allowed the area to become a main stop for the railroad.
In 1908, Mr. G.M Huie, representative of Clayton County, introduced a bill requesting that the town of Riverdale, Clayton County, Georgia, be incorporated. The City was being named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. W.S. Rivers. This bill was passed and charter was granted. Mr. B.F. Hancock was appointed Mayor, and J.B. Adams, A.B. Cooger, W.C. Camp, and W.S. Rivers were appointed as aldermen. Today, the City of Riverdale is located in the "Southern Crescent" of Clayton County, approximately 10 miles south of Atlanta. The City is only 5 miles south of Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, one the nation's busiest airports. Riverdale has a population of over 14,000 and is the second largest city (population) in the Clayton County. The City is governed by a Mayor and 4 Council members. Each council member represents the entire city and are elected at-large, though they hail from one of the four wards that divide the city. The Mayor and Council appoint a City Manager, who has oversight over 5 departments.
The City of Roswell was founded by Roswell King who came from St. Simons Island, GA in 1836. Roswell King established the Roswell Manufacturing Company and built a mill to harness the power of the local rivers to make textiles.
Roswell officially became a city on February 16, 1854. Union Soldiers occupied Roswell from July 5 - July 17, 1864 on their march to Roswell. The Roswell Manufacturing Company mill was destroyed by fire twice. ?In 1864, Union General W.T. Sherman ordered soldiers to torch the mill.
Lightening caused the second fire.
Telephone service came to Roswell in 1901. All phone numbers were one digit. The very first traffic signal was installed in 1949 at the intersection of Sloan and Roswell streets for $436.40. Dr. Francis Goulding, an early Roswell resident and author of children?s books, invented the sewing machine. Unfortunately, this machine is not associated with his name because he failed to obtain a patent.
Mittie Bulloch Roosevelt, the mother of 26th President Theodore Roosevelt, was born at Bulloch Hall. She was the daughter of one of Roswell's first families, the Major James Stephen Bulloch family. The other son, Elliot, became the father of Eleanor Roosevelt who would later marry President Franklin D. Roosevelt (a distant cousin).
Sandy Springs, once a rural village and summer retreat, became incorporated in 2005. Located just north of Atlanta, it is now the sixth largest city in the state and second largest city in the metropolitan Atlanta area.
Smyrna, the "Jonquil City," has a long and colorful history. Smyrna was first known as Ruffs Siding and later Varners Station. Eventually, the name Smyrna was given to the campground area. The name "Smyrna" is found in the Bible's book of Revelation as the name of one of Paul the Apostle's seven churches in Asia.The railroad once played a fairly significant role in Smyrna's development. In 1836 the construction of a railroad began through Cobb County, and by the date of completion in 1842, the railroad had started Smyrna on its change from a frontier village to a growing community. The railroad helped establish the permanent location of the city and provided work for the townspeople. Gristmills and factories were also established in the 1840's. These mills and factories played a prominent role in the early growth of the community.
However, by the close of the 19th century, Smyrna was primarily an agrarian community. While there was industry and the railroad, the economy was by then largely based on agriculture. Smyrna's first brick building was erected in 1850. It was originally built as a boys academy, called Smyrna Institute. The building was later used as an officers? training school, a hospital, and a house of worship. When General Sherman marched through Cobb County in 1864, it was the only building standing in the downtown area. This building stood on the site of the old Masonic Lodge that once stood on West Spring. On that site will soon be built the newest mixed-use development for the revitalized and active downtown.
Snellville, located in the southern portion of Gwinnett County, was incorporated as a town on August 20, 1923. Two young men, James Sawyer and Thomas Snell, who came to the United States from England in 1874, first settled Snellville. The city is named after Thomas Snell. The historic Mason-Todd House is one of the city's oldest homes that is still standing within the city limits. The city has leased the home from the E.R. Snell Family, so the home will be available for public and private events.
Snellville has been recognized by Atlanta Magazine as one of six communities in the Metro Atlanta area with the lowest Personal Crime Rate. Atlanta Magazine publishes an annual article highlighting the "Best Places to Live" in Metro Atlanta. Snellville was honored in their 1994 Issue as one of the top spots to live. The city hosts the annual "Snellville Days Festival" the first weekend of every May. This annual event has an old-fashioned parade down Main Street and a weekend craft fair.
In 1822 the area that now makes up the City of Stone Mountain was made a part of the newly formed Dekalb County. A post office was created in 1834 on the old Augusta Road, and Andrew Johnson built a hotel along the road in 1836. At around the same time, Aaron Cloud built an observation tower at the summit of the mountain. Visitors to the mountain would travel to the area by rail and road, and then walk up the 1.1 mile mountaintop trail to the top, where Cloud also had a restaurant and club.
By 1839 a general store was added and a village was established under the name New Gibraltar. The name was officially changed to Stone Mountain by the Georgia legislature in 1847. During the Civil War, Stone Mountain village was destroyed by men under the command of General John McPherson on July 19, 1864.
The Georgia Municipal Association and Georgia Trend magazine named the City of Suwanee a 2003 City of Excellence, which means that Suwanee is a great place to live, work, and play. Suwanee is friendly, progressive, and committed to maintaining a high quality of life. Named for a Shawnee Indian tribe that settled in the area in the latter part of the 18th century, Suwanee was until recently a small agricultural town with strong ties to the railroad. And just as the railroads brought growth in the late 1800s, so has Suwanee's convenient access to Atlanta fueled growth over the past 15 years.
One of the fastest-growing cities in Georgia throughout the 1990s, Suwanee, home today to about 10,500 residents, has worked hard to retain its charm and sense of neighborliness.The City is using voter-approved bond funds to preserve open space and create new parks. In addition, Suwanee is committed to preserving and enhancing its historic area, providing outstanding services to citizens and businesses, and fostering a true sense of community. Not only is Suwanee an excellent place to live, work, and play, it's a great place to call home.
Tucker is a census-designated place in DeKalb County, Georgia, United States. The population was 27,581 at the 2010 Census. Although central Tucker, also known as "Main Street Tucker", is laid out as a planned "railroad town," it has never been formally incorporated. Municipal services such as fire, police, water, and schools are provided by DeKalb County. If incorporated, Tucker would be the second largest city in the county after Dunwoody (excluding Atlanta which is mostly in Fulton County). An exploratory committee formed by the Tucker Civic Association researched the possibilities of incorporating Tucker as a new city in 1996 and 1997. The community has maintained a distinctive identity, centered on its public high school, churches, and locally owned and operated businesses such as the Cofer Brothers building supply business, Matthews' Cafeteria, and the Tucker Federal savings and loan association (although the latter institution was merged into RBC Centura). It also has been designated with its own ZIP code of 30084.
The community that became known as Tucker started around Brownings Courthouse. The courthouse building originally stood near the intersection of Chamblee-Tucker and La Vista roads. It was named for a leading Southern Baptist, Henry Holcombe Tucker. The presiding officer was a justice of the peace, and the court heard small claims cases up until the building was moved. The courthouse building was moved to a location in front of the Tucker Recreation Center (formerly Tucker Elementary) in the late 1980s. Tucker grew as a railroad stop along the Seaboard Air Line Railroad, which delivered freight to Cofer Brothers Building Supply and later to a DuPont paint factory, now closed. Tucker centered around businesses started or owned by Kelley Cofer and his brother Reid Cofer. The original store was a general store that later grew into a building supply and hardware store. To support the growing building supply business, the Cofer brothers bought the town bank. Today the community holds its annual Tucker Day Parade celebrating Tucker's founding. Many groups parade down Main Street, including schools, churches, police department, fire department, Shriners, and clowns. Antique automobiles and their private collectors also participate in the parade.
Woodstock is over one hundred years old and one of the county's oldest towns. The railroad came to Woodstock in November 1879. The city had a population of 300 and comprised a total of 960 acres. The first gristmills in the county were located nearby. Wood carving, yarn spinning, and other related activities were also done. The abundance of water power around Woodstock, such as Little River, Noonday Creek, and other streams, facilitated these industries. Woodstock had a considerable activity in mineral development. The old Kellogg Gold Mine and several others are within a few miles of Woodstock. Mica and kaolin were also found in nearby areas.
By the 1890s Woodstock was said to be shipping 2,000 bales of cotton annually. A number of Woodstock developers were influential in introducing innovative farming methods to the county. There are many different stories of how Woodstock got its name. One possibility is that it derived from a novel of the same name by Sir Walter Scott. There is also one tale that a man named Mr. Woodstock settled in the area and started a school, thus giving the community its name.
Today, the City of Woodstock is the fastest growing city in Cherokee County. With the growth rate of Woodstock at 70% over the past 10 years, the city has doubled in size. With Interstate 575 and State Highway 92 running diagonally and directly through the heart of Woodstock, there are unlimited possibilities for those who live and work in Woodstock and Cherokee County.